Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Song of the Day I: Thank You Lord for Sending Me the F Train

In the summer of 1995, I somehow stumbled into a Soul Coughing concert at the Exit/In in Nashville, when they were touring in support of their first album, Ruby Vroom. I'd never heard of them before, but I was so blown away by the show that I went out and bought the album the next day. At the time, I was one of something like 75,000 people who had. They went on to get a bit bigger, even achieving some mainstream success with "Circles" off of their third album. I saw them 4 more times, in Cincinnati, Nashville, and Austin, all but the last of which were amazing. The Austin show, in 2000, felt kind of forced, and I wasn't surprised when they called it quits as a band soon after that. It wasn't until 6 or 7 years later that I learned that Mike Doughty had put out some solo material. It is really good as well. To prove it, here's the song that my alarm clock woke me up with this morning. Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment